Focus Board 2021!
January 17th was National Ditch Your Resolutions Day (Insert Eye roll emoji) , yet I am just getting started on making any plans for 2021.
I know, I know. Every business mogul and motivational speaker tells us we should be planning for the first quarter during the end of the third quarter or whatever. However, This is what I have learned- I am not in control. God is. So, that’s who I need to seek for the plan for 2021. That’s who I need to focus on and plan with every year. This is who I need to seek for the vision for my life. But how do I do this- and what is the plan???
I was really hesitant to do a Vision Board for 2021 for a few reasons:
1. Although I’m a visual person (I have to see how things work or look or how they are done), I typically use words to write the vision I desire for my life ( See Habakkuk 2:2).
2. I often wonder if the vision I have created is fully my vision or is it aligned with God’s vision for me (See Jeremiah 29:11)
3. I have found that when I put physical, tangible pictures or objects to the vision, I leave little room for God and I put Him in a box (See Isaiah 55: 11) and I never want to do that! I want all the things He has for me!
My heart posture for this year and beyond is “ Be in expectancy without expectations!" This simply means to have faith that God will give you the desires of your heart and He doesn’t need you to tell him how to do it! He has the blueprint- trust Him and know that whatever it is, it’s already in the works (See Hebrews 11:1, 6, Psalms 37:3-5)!
What is a Focus Board?
A focus board is a visual aid that allows you to set the tone for your year by anchoring it on God’s word. It’s not just pretty pictures that display your idea of what you want your life to look like, but it’s God’s promises in living color where you can set your intentions on Him and meditate on what He says and not necessarily what you see.
How do I make one?
I am one who believes that there is more than one way to do anything. However, I would like to share with you my steps for creating a focus board:
1. Pray and ask God to reveal to you the areas of your life He wants you to focus on this year and write them down.
2. Pray and ask God to show you anchor scriptures for every area you listed in the above step. If you feel hesitant about this step, Google works or search the Bible app for scriptures related to the topic.
3. Decide how you want to design and display your focus board. You might want to do a digital focus board and make it a screen saver on your devices. You might want to do a physical board and hang it on your wall. You might want to print it as a book mark and put in your journal or Bible. Be creative!
I went with a practical anchor chart for my focus board. I guess it’s the teacher in me. :-)
You can get the template I created here to help you get started.
I pray that God blows your mind and when you find yourself confused or anxious about what this year will bring, you will focus on His promises and anchor yourself in His Word!